Conference Proposal Information
The Conferences Committee invites your ideas for the 2017 ASM Conferences program. Please submit your idea for a new ASM Conference before July 1, 2015, by using the link below.
In recent years we have witnessed firsthand the evolution of the microbial sciences. New technology has led to new discoveries which have resulted in new research disciplines. The landscape of the field is changing and the methods in which we deliver these discoveries must adapt along with it. As a result, the new conferences program design now focuses on integrating recent trends and engaging ASM membership in identifying relevant areas of science.
Each year the ASM Conferences Committee will select six to eight conferences focusing on specific topics, for conferences that range in size from 100-400 attendees.
- Approximatly four conferences will be reserved for the conference topics that have traditionally demonstrated a high level of interest and attendance.
- The remaining conferences will be dedicated to new areas of science identified by trends occurring in the field and topic proposals from ASM membership.
Please Note: ASM Conferences must be organized by Professors or Associate Professors (or their equivalent rank in non-academic settings).
Submitting a Conference Proposal
New Conference Topic
New conferences are added to the ASM Conferences program each year through the proposal process outlined below:
- The ASM Conferences Committee issues an annual Call for Topic Proposals in the spring each year. Topic proposals for new conferences are due by July 1 each year.
- Proposals for new topics for conferences are reviewed in the summer, and conference topics selected for further consideration move on to the next round of proposals.
- The Conferences Committee will evaluate the new topic proposals based on the following criteria:
- How well the proposed topic lends itself to a full conference;
- What gaps exist in the marketplace and how the content would fill them; and
- The expertise of the proposed conference leadership team
- If selected for second-round consideration, ASM will send the scientific contact the full proposal application and instructions in August each year.
- Final proposals are due by November 1 each year, and if approved by the Conferences Committee at the winter review meeting, the conference would be scheduled for the following year (12 – 23 months after final approval).
Existing ASM Conference
- Proposals for the next iteration of an existing conference are due by November 1 each year and if approved by the Conferences Committee at the winter review meeting, the conference would be scheduled for the following year (12 – 23 months after final approval).
Proposal Review Timetable
|Milestone||New Conference Topic||Existing ASM Conference|
|Call for Topic Proposals||Open May 1 - July 1||Not Applicable|
|Topic Proposal Deadline||July 1||Not Applicable|
|July - August||Not Applicable|
|Notifications for 2nd Round/
Full Proposal Forms Available
|August 30||August 30|
|Full Proposals Due||November 1||November 1|
Proposal Review Meeting
|November - December||November - December|
|Final Notifications||January 15||January 15|
|Conference Dates||January - November (the following year)||January - November (following year)|